Epicentre News • 09 December 2021
Graph 1. The Original COVID-19 Strain
Please note that this is simply data that was self reported by patients, this is in no way exhaustive nor is it peer reviewed. It is therefore up to the reader to make their own interpretations of the symptoms reported. Currently, this data is being analysed by a researcher, whose findings will be reported in an upcoming newsletter.
Look at the following facts about the graphs to aid in interpretation:
Dates were chosen according to the reported COVID-19 new variant waves in South Africa and were advised by our in-house epidemic expert.
The first graph
- Positive patients data was taken from 862 out of a total of 5768 people who tested (positive rate of 14.94%)
- Numbers were rounded up that = 0.5 or above, or rounded down if they were below 0.5
- These tests were done between 1st June 2020 to the 31st October 2020
- Patients may have experienced more than 1 symptom, thus when reading the graphs interpret it as 51% of patients experienced coughing for example
- 44.1% of positive patients experienced symptoms and 55.9% reported as asymptomatic (positive but experiencing no symptoms)
- Those that were testing positive for a current infection during this time period were exclusively using PCR testing
- Tests were conducted in Hillcrest (KZN) (2484, 50.3%), Cape Town (WC) (1557 people – 31.5%), Johannesburg (GP) (804 people – 16.3%), Port Elizabeth (EC) (93 people – 1.9%)